Sunday, October 19, 2025

A pleasant surprise

The flight from Hong Kong to and from Taipei is always scheduled at almost two hours, but the reality is that the flight is normally only a little bit more than an hour.  I'm assuming the extra time is a built in buffer to provide for delays, but all my trips have always been incredibly fast, with the flight feeling like it's over before you've even really eaten.

As we stood at the counter to check in to our flight, the air stewardess smiled at me and told me that they had an upgrade for me to premium economy.  I looked at her, then looked at my family.  Was this just for me or was it for my wife and child as well?  She checked.  It was just for me.  No thank you I responded.  I would stay with my family.  She looked a bit confused, but continued on with checking us in. I didn't think much more of it.  We took our tickets and we made our way upstairs to security and immigration.

Veronica wanted to look at some more snacks before we went through so we were slightly delayed before we reached the line for security.  From the corner of my eye, I could see someone running to us.  Someone wearing the distinct red uniform of a Cathay stewardess.... 

Our stewardess was in a desperate rush to find us.  Her supervisor had spoken to her and instructed her to run and find us and we were all being upgraded to business!  I wasn't going to say no to that this time.  I had no idea why this sudden and unexpected boon was arranged for us.  I suspected that it was because they had already sold my economy seat and so needed to move me out of it one way or another. Whatever the reason, I wasn't complaining.

For such a short flight, I would never ever pay a dollar extra for any upgrade.  It simply wasn't worth it.  But now that we were here for free, I was going to enjoy it.  The food was better and so was the quality of alcohol.  Veronica has never been a huge fan of Taiwanese lu ruo fan, and yet somehow they managed to make one of the best she had ever eaten on this flight.

Traveling with Pickle during the day, this extra space was also great for us with Pickle.  We spread out and gave him lots of room to play.  I stood up and walked around, stretched my legs and went searching for snacks.  With the large area, Pickle seemed more than entertained with his toys and books.  In what seemed like the briefest of moments, the seatbelt lights came on again and the captain announced we were descending.

No comments: