Monday, February 09, 2009

The Anjuna Flea Markets

Every Wednesday on Anjuna beach, there are the famous beach markets.

At least I was assured that they were famous.

To be perfectly honest, I had never heard of them in my life. But since I was in the area, I thought I'd head over and have a look.
The setting was nice.
In fact it was very picturesque.
The locals were out in force as were Karnatakans with their wares.
The wares of the Karnatakans were particularly impressive. The women, dressed in their full finery were a sight to behold, as they shimmered in the light.
And India being India ("TII") we were starting to get used to the bizarre sights that we came across on what seemed like a daily basis.

I knew that this was a touristy market, but it was a bit depressing being there. The Russians and Brits were everywhere, pushing and shoving their way through, demanding as always. This market wasn't a market for anyone besides tourists and the junk that was being sold was evidence of this fact.
But, it was a beautiful location, and it was pleasant to be able to wander through the stalls whilst listening to the Karnatakan musicians.

No comments: