Sunday, March 14, 2010

A day at the races

I was initially reluctant to go to the races.

I had never been in my life, but as a strict non-gambler (I choose not to gamble for a whole host of reasons), spending a day being surrounded by the activity did not seem the most appealing prospects.

However, after much prodding I decided to go.

And as usual, the lure of going in the members section rather than in general admission helped my decision.

Royal Randwick is actually situated on my bus route to and from work. For well over a year now, I have sped past the race course in the early mornings and evenings. The extent of my interest in this place has been to briefly catch a glimpse of the horses being trained as my bus sped down the road.

I think it is quite amazing how often in life this happens. You pass things by on a day to day basis and never give it consideration. Amazement and wonder can stare you in the eyes, and yet you will ignore it because its shine has been eroded by familiarity.

Now the races isn't something that I would classify in the "amazement and wonder" category, but the idea remains the same.
Here was something that I had ignored. Something that was part of my daily routine that I had neglected.

Even with my personal ban on gambling enforced, I still found it to be a great day out.

Sitting in the sun. Chatting with friends. Having a few quiet drinks.

I also quite enjoyed process of the steward blowing his horn and the procession into the stands to watch the next race.

As the day came to an end, a light rain storm swept through.

People laughed and screamed as they ran inside, to continue the party without the horses.

No comments: