Thursday, November 20, 2014

Madrid

After a few days of partying in Barcelona, Phil and I boarded the fast train for Madrid.

It was convenient, comfortable and actually went incredibly fast.  Australia has been mulling the development of a fast train network for decades, but it's hard to appreciate what we're missing until you actually ride one.  The process of getting to and from the station is so much quicker and you don't have the same hassle of having to go through the usual pre-boarding routine.  It's also nice to be able to just go to a train station in the middle of town and not have to schlep out to an airport on the far outskirts.

Phil had found us another great apartment in the middle of town.  It was in fact right in the middle of a triangle of museums and galleries which would prove handy.

The Barcelona and Madrid divide is famous around the world.  Geographically, they aren't far apart, but there's a huge gap culturally and politically.  You could see it quite quickly from the moment you arrived.  Madrid just looks different.  Barcelona has the look of a Mediterranean city, it's relaxed and the buildings have the "look" of a Mediterranean city.  Madrid on the other hand is classically European.  It has the grand and traditional style of architecture you would expect when visiting Europe.  Even the people seem more serious. 
I quickly liked Madrid.  I liked it a lot.  The city was full of parks and monuments, incredible museums and beautiful galleries.  At night the city was just as lively as Barcelona, with bars and restaurants everywhere.  As much as I enjoyed my time in Barcelona, I think I enjoyed myself more in Madrid.  The bar culture was one of the best I had ever seen and the food at each place was fantastic.  For an inland city, I was surprised by how seafood focused all the bar snacks were.  We ate calamari sandwiches, mussels, baby eels, cod croquettes, gambas.  All of it delicious, but not what I expected at all.

No comments: