Sunday, April 05, 2015

Royal Show fun

The Royal Easter Show is an annual Sydney tradition.  There are Royal shows all over Australia every year, but the Sydney show always happens around the Easter period.

I love the show.  I've loved it since I was a kid.  People from overseas don't always understand it.  To be honest, I'm not sure I would understand it all that much if I didn't grow up with it.
It might be simpler than I think though.  City dwellers in Australia have a nostalgic view of the Australian bush and country.  The show gives us one of those rare opportunities to get a bit closer to the country and a different part of what Australia is.  It's a far cry from the original purpose of the show, being an opportunity for those living in country and rural areas to gather in the city to compete and to buy much needed supplies.
The closest comparison I can think of for the show is probably what Americans would call their "State Fairs".  Like the American state fairs, there's always a huge and varied amount of carnival style foods on offer.  Everything is in huge portions and frequently served on a stick.  It's kinda fun to gorge of this type of food once in a while and the show is the perfect time to do it.

From a food perspective, the more important place to go is the Country Women's Association cafe.  This is always set up inside one of the main halls and I definitely think it is the highlight of the show (from a food perspective anyway).  Every year, the old ladies with the CWA set up and start baking thousands and thousands of scones.  It's one of the great pleasures to be able to sit down for a cup of tea with some truly fantastic scones.
Of all the events, I think my favourite would be the woodchopping.  Going to the show means you also get to go to one of, if not the only, purpose built woodchopping arenas in the world.
Competitive woodchopping is a thing, and when you see it in person you appreciate incredible skill and power involved.  I think the event where they start building their own ladder up a log must the true highlight.  The show is a perfect event to bring overseas guests to.  You see enough weird and wonderful things that make up Australia and you can feed them.  It's the perfect combination.

No comments: