Sunday, July 19, 2015

Canberra in the winter

I'm really not used to the cold anymore.  Sydney has made me soft and weak with its good weather and temperate climate.

I was in Canberra visiting some friends and I could not believe how cold I was.  Standing outside, when the wind was blowing, I really didn't have any resistance to it at all.  The cold cut through my coat as though it wasn't there and sucked the life out of me.
My friend brought me to have a look at the new arboretum.  I never knew what an arboretum was until I arrived.  Apparently it's a tree museum or something like that.  Whatever it was, it was quite scenic.  Much of this area had been destroyed by the Canberra bushfires back in 2003.  I was lucky to have been away from Canberra during those fires, but I remember reading emails from friends who were dealing with the terror of the approaching fires.  It was nice to see that the area was now being used for something useful.

No comments: