Monday, November 09, 2015

Wylie's

I've been living in Coogee for years and I rarely go down to Wylie's Baths.  I'm not sure why I don't go more often.  Maybe I'm just a bit too cheap to pay the fee (it's very cheap...) to go in given there's the free beach just to the side, but I think that's been a mistake by me.  There's something lovely about going to Wylie's Baths.  It is often much quieter than the surrounding beaches and its has an old world charm to it.
The water itself isn't very deep.  It definitely needs a bit of a clean up at the bottom, but it's nice to wade around in the sheltered waters and to lay down on the concrete surrounding the water.  There's a whole bunch of regulars who seem to do laps around Wylie's every day.  It's a nice habit to have and I wonder whether it's one I should have formed a bit earlier myself.
After sunning myself for a while, I went upstairs and got a milkshake.
The whole area is such an echo to the past. It's from a gentler time, when people didn't go to the beach to swim, they went to the beach to "bathe".  It's a lovely working reminder of how things used to be and I'm very lucky to have it just around the corner to my home.

No comments: