Saturday, April 09, 2016

HK 7s

Hong Kong 7s has the reputation for being the biggest party in Asia.  I was looking forward to attending for the first time now that I was living in Hong Kong.  The day started interestingly enough though as I found a tall man with gigantic wig seated directly in front of me.  I wondered how much of the games I would get to see and whether it was acceptable to snatch the wig off his head.  It didn't take long though for the heat of the day to creep up on him and the wig soon came off the head.
Not that it really mattered anyway.  Most people weren't all that interested in the games happening.  It was the crowd, the atmosphere and the drinking that seemed to engage most people during the day.  Todd had arrived on an overnight flight from Jakarta, so he had been exhausted.  Rather than rush out early, he had a nap and we then had a leisurely breakfast before making our way to the stadium.  We checked to see if we could get into the famous South Stand, but the lineup to get in was hours long.  Instead we found ourselves good seats in the North Stand, which were actually great.  We could move in and out easily, there was great access to food and drink, and the crowd was loud and active.
Part of the fun of Hong Kong 7s is the dress up.  Everyone gets into crazy costumes to attend and it adds to the almost carnival atmosphere of the event.  Todd and I weren't going to be left behind on this, so we came dressed up as the crazy scientists looking for our DeLorians.
The partying went late into the night.  We kicked on into LKF with the huge throngs of people.  A friend of mine who had been before had said to me that HK 7s felt like going to a "full stadium party".  I think that description is as apt as any I can think of.

No comments: