Thursday, January 18, 2018

Ocean Baths

Any trip back to Newcastle should involve lots of time spent as close to the water as possible.

For all of the fame that the beaches of Sydney have, I think that the Newcastle beaches are better.
The coastline is long and barely touched, with only a fraction of the crowds that Sydney has.
However, the true jewels of this area would be the ocean baths.

There are plenty of ocean baths in Sydney, but again, the Newcastle ones are just better.  They are bigger, they are better maintained, and they seem to jut out into the ocean in a way that gives you a far more awe inspiring view of the huge expanse of the Pacific. 
At the entrance to the Newcastle City baths is an old colonial style building.  Inside you can get drinks and food.  It reminds me of the canteens and tuck shops at the public swimming pools I would go to when I was growing up in Melbourne.  Those days were always highlights growing up, as us kids ran amok inside whilst the parents sat around on the benches watching us play.  It was a different lifestyle in Melbourne, with none of these open air baths.
As I sat on the edge watching the water after my own swim.  A huge wave came surging over the edge of the baths and the water came sweeping over the side of the pool.  I dipped my feet in and walked around a bit, feeling the surge of the water pushing me around.
These baths are special places.  Always a highlight of any visit and easily my favourite part of Newcastle.

No comments: