Friday, March 22, 2019

Giant teddy bear

I was feeling jet lagged.

I'm certainly not old yet, but there's definitely the feeling of getting older.  Playing contact sports becomes more difficult, recovering from a bender takes longer, and the getting over of jet lag is definitely harder than when I was younger.

I was in Doha.  Well... I was at Hamad International Airport in Doha, waiting for my next flight.  I was off to the South of France to visit my dear friend Maya and her family.  Flying Qatar Airways had provided the best route.  We were arranging a big group meet up, and good fortune meant that Todd was able to get a flight from Indonesia that landed in Doha about an hour before me.  We would be able to fly onto Nice together on the same flight.

I started to walk around the airport to look for Todd.  He couldn't be far away.  The wifi seemed a bit spotty as I struggled to get online so that I could whatsapp him.  I'm really not sure what we did before smart phones became ubiquitous in our lives.

As I walked around, I saw a teddy bear in the distance.
A gigantic teddy bear....
There's something about being sleep deprived when you see these sorts of things.  It messes with your brain a little bit as you question whether or not you are actually seeing a gigantic teddy bear or if instead you have started to lose your mind a bit.  My sense of reality seemed to warp a bit as I stood in front of this gigantic teddy bear.

I eventually found Todd, who was also standing near the giant teddy bear.

I needed to get my mind straight, so we went to get some coffee.  We were in Arabia (technically speaking), so we went to get some Arabic style coffee.  It was nice to be able to pour the coffee from the dallah, something I hadn't done for a few years.  Arabic coffee is prepared differently to in the West and it's much lighter than you would expect.  I find it much closer in taste and consistency to a strong tea.
After a few refreshing cups (paired with some baklava and dates), I immediately felt better.  Soon enough, I would be swapping the dates and coffee for pastries and cafe au laits.

No comments: