Friday, October 04, 2019

Returning to the scene

Years ago, I visited Hong Kong when I was just a university student.  I had a great time and one night I was even taken out to party in Lan Kwai Fong by some family.

We had a great now out and I remember they took us out for dinner at a Russian restaurant.  I even wrote about it all on this blog.

That was years ago.  This is now.

My Russian friend Ayuna wanted to take some of us out for dinner at a Russian restaurant.  She suggested we go to "Ivan the Kozak" up on Wyndham street.  Why not I thought?  After all, what better way to experience a country's cuisine than to have a local introduce it to you.

The food was nice, it was hearty and filling.

I was getting a strange feeling though.  Looking around, everything felt "familiar".  I had the distinct feeing that I had been here before....
It turns out of course that I had been here before.  This was the same restaurant that I went to when I was visiting Hong Kong all those years ago (albeit in a slightly different location).  It's strange how powerful a memory can be, how feint hints of the familiar can stir up memories that you thought you had lost long ago.

This evening ended on a much more civilised note.  There would be no fake wrestling with drunken Scotsmen in LKF.  Instead, we ended up at a jazz bar listening to music and drinking glasses of wine.  Very refined in comparison.

No comments: