Friday, January 03, 2020

This Canadian life

There's a bleakness to Canada that I haven't seen before.

Previous visits, I've been greeted by the perfect snow.  The beautiful and clean whiteness has covered everything and given it an inherently lovely glow.

This time though, the weather has been strangely warm.  Besides one lovely day of snow, most of my trip has been accompanied by temperatures of around 5 or 6 degrees.  So instead of the white coverings I had become used to, I instead see a more standard grey suburban landscape.

It's a stark and brutal scene.  A suburban landscape filled with highways, carparks, warehouses and light industry.
I find it all a bit depressing.  It's the type of cityscape that I have no particular interest living in.

Still, the coldness of it all makes the feeling of comfort you experience when you escape it all the better.  That morning, I decided that the best escape was to go to a diner to get breakfast.
Eggs and corned beef hash never tasted so satisfying.

No comments: