Sunday, August 16, 2020

Moo

I like the hike from Mui Wo to Pui O.  It's a good length, with some challenging parts and most importantly of all, the lovely payoff at the end of stunning views and some beach opportunities.
It had been a few years since I had first done this hike with Ed.  It was a strange feeling to be doing this hike now.  Ed was gone, back to France, but I was still here and now quite a different person to what I was back then.  I remembered that halfway through that first hike with Ed, I had to tap out as I was so unfit.  I was much better now and powered through the whole walk with only a few brief stops to rehydrate.
When we got to Pui O, everything was quiet.  It was too hot for there to be much outside activity, but we were lucky enough to see some of the Lantau water buffalo wandering around happily eating the grass.  I showed the pictures to one of my friends and she immediately thought they looked like some amalgamation between cow and rhino.
The walk from Mui Wo to Pui O had been long enough for me.  Given the heat, I didn't want to go any further on foot.  We grabbed the first cab we saw and went straight for the beachside restaurants at Cheung Sha.  These restaurants on the beach are some of my favourite in Hong Kong.  Sitting along side the water, people move in and out of the water, to and from the tables, as they enjoy their days with food and drink.  It is a lovely lifestyle that is so close to the business of Hong Kong.
With all of the coronavirus restrictions in Hong Kong, the beach was "closed", but all this seemed to mean was some ineffective tape which had been stretched across a small section of the beach which would have otherwise been supervised by the lifeguards.
Instead, people just swam to the side.  The water was warm, almost bath like, when I jumped in to wash off the sweat and dirt of the hike.

No comments: