Sunday, November 15, 2020

Coronavirus and the new getaway

One of the great pleasures that living in Hong Kong has provided me is the ability to travel, and to travel extremely frequently.  I've been lucky to have experienced a lifestyle that I had longed for since childhood, which involved a level of jet setting few are able to enjoy.  I appreciate it's something very special that not many get to do.

This year has changed all of that completely.  With the global restrictions on travel and the difficulties (and uncertainties) of dealing with testing and quarantine, I've not even attempted to leave Hong Kong.  Like many others, I've found myself in Hong Kong for the longest consecutive stretch of time I've ever experienced.  That hasn't been a entirely terrible thing.  Compared to many other places around the world, Hong Kong has been quite good.  The virus is largely under control and life has been able to go on, even if in a slightly different way to normal.

With the BBQ in Cheung Sha, I decided to take advantage of some of the cheap holiday accommodation available in Mui Wo.  It would be my first "staycation" in Hong Kong, and I even had the benefit of other friends joining me for the adventure.

The hotel itself was bit old and tired, but the feeling of sleeping somewhere different for the first time in many months was more exhilarating than I expected.  I went to sleep with the happy feeling of being in different surroundings which I had clearly missed far more than I realised.  When I woke up, I had a lovely and unfamiliar view to greet me. 
The room was very simple, but the ocean view and the lack of any of the usual city noises had given me a lovely restful sleep.   I felt incredibly relaxed and quite happy.  I was close to home, but I could have been a world away from the densely packed streets of downtown Hong Kong.  
I walked downstairs to see what the complimentary breakfast on offer was.  With virus restrictions, there was no buffet and I was brought a pre-made plate.  It wasn't exactly what I wanted, so I politely ate some of it before excusing myself.
A change is sometimes all you need.  Living in Hong Kong, I have become so accustomed to the constant travels and opportunities to see something new.  It was a blessing to be able to keep doing that, even if on a more localised scale.

No comments: