Saturday, August 15, 2009

Time keeps passing

It's been a while since I last put anything onto the blog. I can't work out whether it is because nothing has been happening, or rather because I have reached a stage where I feel that nothing has been happening.

Regardless of the reason, it does seem as though working life is taking its toll on activities and the spontaneity of existence. It is a terrifying thing to look forward into the future and see with a fair degree of certainty what you will be doing in a week, a month, a year.... It is not something I enjoy at all.

Times are definitely moving along though. This was highlighted by a recent trip to Brisbane.

I hadn't been to Brisbane since I was 5 years old, so this was a welcome opportunity to see a place that I had memories of through the eyes of a child.
It was a very nice place. The middle of winter, and yet the sun was shining and it was warm enough to wander around wearing a T shirt. Even Sydney's winter is relatively tame, but this was just fantastic.

The reason for the trip was not just for a visit though.
My old friend David was getting married.

Seeing him taking this big step made me think back to our childhoods together. It seems like another lifetime ago. At the reception, there was even a photo of the two of us together. It was a bizarre feeling seeing the picture and then noting my own current circumstances and situation.
I was happy to be able to be there for his wedding. He and Rose both looked so grown up, so adult. I felt strangely childish and out of place. Time was certainly moving along.

No comments: