Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A different view

Sydney is a strange city.

Many people don't realise that the city of Sydney itself isn't actually that big.

Now don't get me wrong, there are still lots of people here as there's a population of more than 4 million. However, it is hardly the bustling, non-stop metropolis you would expect. Instead, much of the population lives in the huge suburban mass that sprawls out from the city centre.

I found myself in a strange part of town.

Instead of being the middle of the city (where I work) or in and around the high rises, I actually found myself at the very southern part of where the city ends and where the suburbs start.

Standing on the roof of a building, I was able to look North through the centre of Sydney, a far less well known view.

From this angle, there's far less glamour and excitement to this place.

It's amazing how a simple change in perspective can completely alter how you see a place.

1 comment:

Bernadette said...

Always wanted to visit. Thanks for the recap. I just came back from Santa Fe, New Mexico. It was interesting, nonetheless.