Sunday, August 21, 2011

Hotel nostalgia

I found myself at a strange hotel recently.


Not strange from the perspective of the hotel itself, but rather from a personal perspective.

It was a hotel that I stayed at with my parents when I was about 5 years old. My memories of this place and my trip with the parents continue to colour my thinking about hotels and what it is to go on a trip.

My memories are of a sparkling hotel with service beyond imagination. There were smiling faces everywhere and a uniformed bell boy to take our bags to our rooms.

Things have changed a bit.


It's not the sparkling, brand new hotel it once was (after 20 years, who can blame them?)


But much of the old quirks that I liked such as the inner court yard are still there.

It was a nice walk down memory lane. It was like looking at a faded photo though, it lacked the sharpness and vitality that my memory gave it.

No comments: