Thursday, May 21, 2015

Goodbye Dave

I remember first discovering the Late Show when I was at university.  I was a simple undergrad who was staying up late, trying to convince myself to study, but usually doing very little of that.  I often found myself sitting in bed, watching TV trying to fall asleep.  Late at night, even in Australia, the Late Show with David Letterman would play.

I started watching because I was bored and had nothing to do.  After a while, it became a part of my routine.  I loved Letterman's sense of humour and his brutally sarcastic wit.  He managed to do it all with such style as well.  When he sauntered onto stage, he would always be immaculately dressed as he buttoned up his suit before launching into his opening monologue.  His treatment of his guests was "generally" good, but there were still hints of his famed older and harsher approach to guests.  I would watch the opening monologue, his jokes and random segments, I'd watch the top ten and listen in to his interview.  After this, I'd normally switch off as I wouldn't have too much interest in the musical guest.
Letterman's time on the Late Show was finished now.  He was retiring and so his time on my screen would be coming to an end.  It was strange that Letterman was finishing up.  Seeing him walk onto stage for the last time sent a rush of nostalgia through me as I thought back to those days in my college dorm.
As he waved one last time and the camera panned away, it felt like the very last of my links to those university days were finally gone.

No comments: