Saturday, May 23, 2015

So much football

When I was young, I always dreamed of moving back to Melbourne when I grew up.  One of the things I hope to do was to live in the city and to be able to go to as many Aussie Rules games as I could.  At one point, I looked into moving to Melbourne for university, but that never happened.  The dream of being able to spend every weekend going from game to game remained sadly out of reach and I had to content myself with the occasional game in Sydney.

One weekend, I found myself in Melbourne and I thought I'd try and experience a little bit of what I had always wanted to try.  I called up my friends John and Marty and we arranged to do the double header.  The timing was perfect, the first game had the John's team the Saints playing and the second game had my team the Hawks playing.

In the early afternoon, we met near Southern Cross Station.  From there we walked over to Docklands Stadium.  All of us were AFL or club members in some form, so we walked into game without any additional cost.  Membership also gave us great seats.  We were seated near the 50m line and were close to where the teams ran out.  Sadly for John, the game didn't go well and the Saints lost to the Eagles.
We left the game and saw a food truck.  The day was cold, so we bought some hot jam donuts to warm us up.  Standing there in the cold eating the hot donuts, I thought back to when I was young and at Waverley Park with my brother and dad.  Waverley always seemed to be freezing and my memory of the place was that the weather was never good!  We had a bit of time before the next game started, so we went to a parmy place that was a favourite of John's.  This seemed to be a true Melbourne experience now, football and parmys.
After dinner, we walked to the MCG.  My team the Hawks were playing the Swans.  It was an incredible coincidence that John and I had both been able to see our teams play on the same day.  Sadly for me, the Hawks also lost.  I still enjoyed the game though.
We had watched a lot of football, and both our teams had lost.  The day could have ended better, but I was still happy with how it had gone.  How often do you get to overindulge in something you enjoy so much?

No comments: