Thursday, October 08, 2015

Big city

This city is incredible.  It really is one of my (if not my actual) favourite places in the world.  I love just walking around and looking at the views, stopping by the random shops everywhere and soaking in the atmosphere of all the different neighbourhoods.

I caught the subway across to Brooklyn Bridge Park so that I could look at the skyline.
I sat in the park and I looked across the water and admired the beautiful view.  The size of the imposing Manhattan skyline doesn't make me feel small or insignificant as you might expect.  It has the opposite effect on me.  It makes me feel invigorated.  I look at it and I think about all that is possible, about all the heights that people can reach if they are working together in unison.  It is a scene that demonstrates what adversity can be overcome when we strive for something great.  For me, it is one of the most inspiring views in the world.
After walking around the park, I went and bought a shake at Shake Shack (always chocolate with some malt added) and walked back to Manhattan across the Brooklyn Bridge.  I felt I had been overindulging of late, so the walk did me good.  It was a scenic walk and there were dozens of other people who had the same idea.  The weather was exceptionally good, so I couldn't really blame them.
The walk across this famous bridge is a great way to see the city, and the walk across the water comes with a strong breeze which helps to clear the lungs.  It takes you out of the density of the city and into the natural surrounds.  It also gives the truly wonderful experience of seeing Manhattan slowly growing before you as you get closer and closer.  As you're about halfway across you feel completely enclosed by the web of cables that cover the bridge.
On the other side of the bridge, I kept on walking until I reached Russ & Daughters.  New York's old Jewish eateries are spit into delis and appetizers.  Traditionally, the delis deal with all of the meats like the pastramis and salamis, whereas the appetizers deal with the various fish like sturgeon and salmon.  Sadly for New York, it seems like the continued gentrification of the city is pushing more and more of these great places out to the wayside.  Thankfully Russ & Daughters remains and it still does a great bagel with lox.
I didn't have anything to do that day, so I just took advantage of the good weather to walk around.  I walked up towards midtown and looked at the elegant art deco forms of the Chrysler Building.  There's no climbing to the top of this building, and you don't really get much out of visiting it.  Instead, it is there to be looked at from a distance, to be admired from a far.
As it started to get dark, I walked over to One World Trade Centre.  I had booked a time to go to the very top, so I needed to get in line to make my way up to the top.  Before heading up, I stood at the bottom of the building and looked straight up.  This is now the tallest building in New York, a reminder of the loss of the old towers which used to stand in this space.
From the viewing floors near the top, you get an incredible view of the whole of New York.  I've always enjoyed going to the top of the Empire State Building and Rockefeller Center, but this may now take the crown of the best viewing platform in New York.  It's location downtown along with its height means that you can see far off into the distance all the way to Midtown.
I loved standing at the windows and looking out at the city.  Even from up here, it was such a hive of of constant activity.

No comments: