Saturday, October 31, 2015

Three peat

The Hawks had won a third successful grand final when I was in New York!  I remember sitting in bed in the hotel with the radio streaming over my phone, listening to the plays being called by the commentators.  The Hawks started out well and by three quarter time, it was clear they had won.  I put my phone away and went to sleep happy.  In hindsight I should have gone and found a bar in the area that was showing the game, but a win is a win.

It had become a yearly tradition for the Sydney based Hawthorn fans to gather to see and hold the premiership cups.  This was a particularly special year, as the Hawks had completed a three-peat.  I had run out of hands to hold all of the cup!
Everyone had huge beaming smiles.  How often is it you get to see your team win once, let alone three times like this?  A lot had happened since the Hawks had last won as well.  The year before, my brother and I had been in Melbourne to watch the Hawks beat the Swans, and now he didn't even live in Australia anymore.

Everyone joked around and laughed.  As people left, we all arrogantly called out "see you next year".  Such presumptuousness!

No comments: