Sunday, May 10, 2020

First beach day

Some of the restrictions on gatherings and activities had been lifted.  We were now allowed to gather in groups of up to 8 people.  The limits of activities in Hong Kong had been relatively restrained in comparison to most other countries, so while this wasn't a huge change, it was still a welcome one.  With the weather looking good, I thought a trip out to Cheung Chau would be the best way to enjoy our greater freedoms. 
The weather was warm and none of us had any intention of a tough and arduous hike.  Instead, this was going to be a nice stroll on the island.  We started out the morning with some dim sum, sitting in one of the local restaurants relaxing over cups of tea and dumplings.  Then we very slowly set out.  We looked at the map and decided to cut out much of the loops around the southern part of the island.  Instead, we cut through the town and straight towards some of the temples on the coast.
It was a different way of walking around Cheung Chau.  I was used to taking the longer and more scenic routes around the outside edge of the island.  This normally offered the best views and best walk, but we had different goals in mind today.  After a pleasant walk which took us through areas that I had amazingly never been before, we reached the area near the beach.  My favourite beach in the whole of Hong Kong.
We had walked at a much slower pace than normal not just for our own sake, but also for the sake of our old friend we were taking for a walk.  Mers had decided to foster one of the friendliest dogs I've ever met, Amber.  Her family had left Hong Kong, and had sadly been unable to take her with them due to her health condition.  She was an old dog, but calm, inquisitive and keen to say hello to everyone she met.  Given how old she was, we didn't want to push her with too strenuous a hike.
We got to the beach and had some food at the cafe next to the helicopter pad.  The first sip of the ice cold drink was as always, the best.  After that, we migrated down to the beach where I jumped straight into the water for a swim.  The water was still cool, the temperatures in the sea not yet having caught up with the weather yet.  I pulled myself back onto the beach where I fell asleep.  Amber was also tired and she soon dropped herself down next to me for a rest as well.
When I finally stirred, I opened my eyes and found myself face to face with Amber.  She didn't seem at all fussed as she starred at me, then suddenly she turned her head and started sneezing.  It was a strange wake up experience.
Dogs aren't allowed on the fast ferry, so we all joined Mers on the slow ferry back to Hong Kong.  It is quite a bit slower, but on this nice day out it was fine.  The open decks meant that a cool breeze was blowing and it gave us an opportunity to look out at Hong Kong as we arrived back home.

No comments: