Wednesday, May 20, 2020

So many coins

I've collected a lot of coins over the last few years in Hong Kong.

I mean A LOT of coins.

I have a habit where I generally don't spend my coins.  Whenever I get any change, I will generally just add it to the collection jars I have at home.  Over time, the amount of coins I have grows.  And grows.  And grows....  In fact, it had reached a point where I had filled up all of my jars and collection vessels.  Annoyingly, the banks in Hong Kong don't really provide a convenient service for coin collection.  They require you to self count and bag the coins, and even then, many of them will charge a "processing" fee.  Instead, you have to track a series of coin trucks run by the HKMA which drive around Hong Kong.  They provide a free way to change your coins into notes or to top up your Octopus card.  

So I carried my enormous amount of coins over to one of the trucks when it was close to my work.  I filled up the feeder and watched it work.  There's also something very satisfying about watching the coins slow rushing into the counter.  The noise it makes is almost zen like.
After all the saving, I walked away with several thousand dollars to take away.  They might have started as small amounts, but they certainly grew to be something big!

No comments: