Thursday, February 24, 2022

Coronavirus and all is quiet

The rest of the world seems to be moving on.  There seems to be less and less talk about covid as the virus becomes endemic and people seem to have become used to living their lives with it.  Speaking with friends overseas, there seem to have been a countless number of people I know who have caught it.  Most interestingly though is that even with all the people I know who have caught covid, I can say that thankfully not a single one of them has had any serious symptoms.  Flu-like symptoms seem to be the worst of it and for many, the symptoms have been even milder.

Hong Kong is sadly for most of us, taking a very different approach.  It continues with a tightening of measures.  Social distancing requirements are being increased and thousands of people with few to no symptoms are being sent off to quarantine without any fixed time for leaving.  It's all leaving people here incredibly frustrated and the anger is now starting to swell.

I went into the office to arrange for some documents to be signed.  It had been a while since I had physically into the office.  With the restrictions, most businesses were implementing work from home policies.  I did my work in the nearly empty office and I went out to get some lunch.
It was a shock.  The normally busy halls of ICC leading into Elements shopping mall were nearly deserted.  It felt like something out of an apocalyptic story.  Every step I took echoed slightly as I found my friend waiting for me.  She was one of the few people in her office as well.  There wasn't a need for any booking today, so we just walked towards the restaurant of our choice.  
 

No comments: