Saturday, August 05, 2023

Honeymoon

It had been a few months and a lot had happened.  I was feeling very tired and I needed a break from work.  Thankfully, it was time for our long planned honeymoon.  It was a strange lead up.  The trip we had decided to take the year before had approached with a quick feeling.  This time, it felt like time was moving like molasses.  Every day dragged and when it was finally the days leading up to the trip, I was so tired I barely had the motivation to pack or arrange my luggage.  I was still excited.  We were going to Italy again after all.  We both loved the country and all it had to offer.  We had contemplated more adventurous locations for our break, but we were lucky to have stuck with this more conventional destination given Ron's changed situation.

We arrived at the airport, checked in and found ourselves sitting in the lounge waiting for our flight.  I started to feel the weight lifting from my shoulders.  The first six months of the year had been very intense.  There had been a lot of good, but also a lot of more challenging and confronting events.  All of it had taken a toll though so this would be a good chance to recharge.  Were we being a bit basic going back to Italy?  Probably, but I think I've reached a point in my life where I don't care so much about such things. 

We were flying with Qatar Airways again.  I was a big fan of their service and their prices were competitive compared to more direct options from Hong Kong.  Many people may baulk at the breaking up of the flight to stop in Doha, but we didn't have any issue with it.  There had been some changes to the airport since we had last visited, so this also gave us a chance to see the new additions and the huge new garden which had been installed.  People are comparing the new changes to Hamad to those at Changi in Singapore.  Both are very impressive, but I think the Hamad changes may be more impactful given they are within the airport terminal itself.  The Jewel in Singapore is lovely, but it's ultimately more of an outside mall that just happens to be next door to the airport.
We arrived very early in Rome.  The process of immigration for me was easy, but took a bit longer for Ron with her different passport.  We moved with the early morning crowds and boarded the Leonardo Express.  It was a very familiar feeling.  We arrived at Termini station and then we searched for a cafe to wait.  I looked at my watch.  It wasn't even 9am in the morning yet.  We weren't staying in Rome yet.  We had a train to board at 11:30am, but thankfully we were able to change it to the 10:30am.  A short wait with coffee and cornetto was all that would be needed.  Then, we went back into the the station.  A very short trip of only an hour and half later, and we arrived in Florence.
It was lunch time.  So it made sense for us to immediately go and get sandwiches at Al'Antico Vinaio.

No comments: