Sunday, March 06, 2011

Tourist fun

I've been to Hong Kong so many times over the years. It's not that surprising considering it's where much of my extended family resides.


However, in all of these trips, I've spent a surprisingly small amount of time exploring Hong Kong. I've rarely had the opportunity to actually be a tourist. Instead, I've found myself being shuttled from one family obligation to another.

The result has been that I have found myself with not only a poor understanding of where anything is in Hong Kong, but also a distinct lack of opportunities to see what makes this town so special.


This was going to change though.


This trip to Hong Kong was surprisingly event free which allowed me more than enough opportunity to be the tourist my heart yearned to be. I wanted to do my usual tourist thing and just wander and wander until I found myself too exhausted to walk anymore (this was also going to be something of a test for my reconstructed knee).


The big thing on my list of things to do was the Peak!


And not only the Peak, I wanted to ride the famous tram up to the Peak!
The Peak is on top of the mountain range that runs across the middle of Hong Kong island. It has long been the location of choice for the richest of the rich to live and for the rest of us mere mortals to visit.
Catching the tram, at certain points, the incline reaches ridiculously steep levels that force you into the back of the chair.
... ideally, there should be a lovely view of Hong Kong and the harbour...

No comments: