Saturday, September 14, 2019

The Gabba

Sometimes timing works out perfectly.

I had travelled to Brisbane for my brother's wedding.  He and his fiance lived in London, but due to family, they decided that it made more sense for them to marry in Brisbane.

By sheer luck, the AFL results fell in such a way that one of the semi-final games was to be in Brisbane the night before the wedding.

It had been a couple of years since I had been able to go to a game and it had been over five years since he had been able to go to a game.  Not living in Australia will have that impact.  It was perfect then for a group of his friends and him to enjoy his final night as an unmarried man watching a game of Aussie Rules.
The Lions were playing the Giants.

It was my first time at the Gabba as well.  It was a very nice stadium, with comfortable seats and great sight lines of the entire field.  I even got to eat a meat pie.
The game was good to watch and eventually the Giants managed to push in front.  Having lived in Sydney, they were kind of my second team after the Hawks, so I was happy they won.
After the game, we joined in the traditional of having a kick on the field.  It was a nice way to finish the game, and also a nice way for my brother's last night as a bachelor to end.  Having a last kick with his friends seemed to be a nice analogy for the end of childhood.

No comments: