Wednesday, June 15, 2016

National Portrait Gallery

I was enjoying my trip and the opportunity it gave me to visit some different locations in familiar places.  I had taken that approach to wandering around in Paris and now that I was in London, I thought it would be appropriate to try it here as well.

I had been to Trafalgar Square many times, but I had never been into the National Portrait Gallery.  It was an imposing and grand old building that stood at the top of the famous square, but other places had drawn my attention.  I had time now, so it was time to go inside.  It was spectacular in a grand way.  The entire interior felt expensive.  The features were ornate and everything was gilded.
As I walked around the inside of the gallery trying to take everything in, I noticed that there was a common theme amongst all those visiting.  Everyone was taking photos.  I am in no way innocent of this, but I did find it quite amazing to see how much more interested many people were in taking photos of what they were standing in front of rather than actually enjoying what it was.  I quite like looking at the grander perspective of the exhibits in the environment when I'm there.  I will of course look closely at the exhibits as well, but I felt compelled to take some picture of people taking pictures of pictures.
It was all very meta.
There was something about the deep green colours of the place combined with the wooden trim which made me feel like I was in a old and wealthy home.  The couches were comfortable and I wished I had something similar in my own home.
I kept wandering through.  After a while, every room started to look the same.  I looked at my watch and decided I had spent enough time here.

No comments: