Thursday, June 16, 2016

Victoria and Albert

There are so many museums and galleries in London.  I wonder if the locals fully appreciate what they have at the doorstep?  I think it's so easy to neglect what you can always access.  I've definitely been guilty of that crime living in Sydney.  There are galleries in Sydney I've never been to, as well as parks and beaches which I've told myself I'll visit but which I never do.

The next museum I went to was the Victoria and Albert.  As with most of the other museums, it was full of precious objects looted from other countries another fine example of the colonial history of the UK which still seems to be conveniently overlooked when it comes to matters of art and culture.
The building was stunning as you would expect.  The large halls were filled with light which gleamed off of the white marble of the statues.  The empty spaces and the lack of people gave the whole place an almost cloister like feel.  Those who were there walked around solemnly and silently, observing everything in front of them with an intense concentration.
It was all very beautiful, but I think was starting to get an overload of it all.  I had been moving from gallery to museum and back again.  It was all getting a bit too "same" for me.  I looked a bit more at some of the exhibits, felt a lack of excitement and decided it was time to move on to something else.

No comments: