Friday, June 17, 2016

Tate again

London doesn't feel like London without the Tate Modern.

It has become so inextricably linked with my personal idea and love for the place that any visit feels empty without at least a quick visit.
This time, there was a particularly good reason to visit as there had been some major renovations completed.  My beloved Tate Modern had expanded significantly, with the enormous "Switch House" occupying the space next to the old turbine hall.  The space the Tate Modern now had on offer for its exhibitions had probably more than doubled and there was a significantly larger space now on offer for very large installation pieces.
At the very top of the new Switch House, there was also an open area that you could go to which offered sweeping views across London.  With the old turbine hall in the foreground and St Paul's in the background, it was one of the best views in all of London.
Even with all the new things to see, I still went back to spend more time in the old Turbine Hall.  Walking through the old hall made me feel like I was back at home.  It felt comforting and familiar.
I went back to the Crack as well.  Now all filled in.
I thought back to when I first came to the Tate and how amazed I was that this huge gallery had allowed itself to be intentionally torn open.  Looking at it now, it was this incredible reminder of what had been there.  I wished that others could have seen it like I had.

No comments: