Sunday, June 12, 2016

Paris again

Work in Milan had been fun.  It had been a new experience and I had met people from around the world.  All that was done now and people started to head off back to their respective homes.

Since I was in Europe already, I decided to take a week off on leave and to visit some friends.

Any trip to Europe wouldn't feel quite right without visiting Maya and the family.  The kids were getting bigger now.  They weren't babies anymore, but were now children running around causing mischief.

Since I was in the South of Paris, it only made sense that we all went for a walk at Parc du Sceaux.  Since the kids were so much bigger these days, the strollers were gone and instead replaced with their bicycles.  It was a nice progression for them and made me think about my own progressions in life.  I dropped in and out of the lives of these kids at such infrequent moments, that I always found their development and growth both startling and joyful at the same time.
The Parc was its usual lovely self.  The big difference this time was the weather was comfortably in the mid-20s.  Every other time I had visited Maya and Adam, it had been during colder months and we had always walked at a quick pace through a generally deserted park.  This time, there was a liveliness to the place.  With good weather, came lots of people, all walking around or lounging with their picnics on the grass.
The kids kept pushing ahead, with Sofia developing her love of riding ever faster and Emil trying to catch up as all younger siblings do.  At one point, these two little blonde kids had rushed ahead of Maya and myself, they rode furiously past a large group of French people who looked adoringly at Sofia and Emil, chatting with each other about how cute they were.  It was then that the dark brunette Maya and me her Asian friend came running after the kids, calling out to them to slow down.  The French people's faces changed from smiles to confusion.... unclear how this whole situation worked!
Every trip here, the park brings me a little bit more joy.  It always has been one of the hidden jewels of Paris and it deserves far more attention.  Yet, I am very happy that it remains hidden.  For my own selfish reasons, the thought of it being overrun with tourists makes me wince with annoyance.

No comments: