Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Play ball!

I am unsure how or why, but I managed to become a huge fan of baseball while I was at university. There is something about the game that captures my imagination and intrigues me with every at bat and with every pitch.

This is odd considering there isn't really any baseball in Australia and I have never been to a baseball game in Australia.

However, now that I was in New York, that would change!

I found myself with Andy, Pete and Ros at Citi Field for a game between the Phillies and the Mets!
This was fantastic for me on many levels.

Firstly, I'm a Phillies fan.

Secondly, the mighty ace of the Phillies, Roy Halladay was pitching.

And thirdly, the Mets are very very bad, making the chances of a Phillies win high.
It was great fun.

Sitting at the game, in good seats, eating hot dogs and cracker jacks.
It's clear how this became the great American past time. It is a relaxing and enjoyable day out.
At the seventh inning, we even got up to sing "Take me out to the ballgame". The fanfare, the pageantry, the food, all of it combines to create something that just doesn't seem to be there in a cricket game.

It also helps when the Phillies win!

No comments: