Sunday, December 11, 2011

Just like Amelie

Someone once said to me that they imagined that I saw the world as Amelie did.

I wasn't sure how to take that. Did it mean that I was a bit loopy or that I viewed the world through a unique lens?

... maybe a bit of both.

It seemed fitting then to find myself standing in front of Sacre Coeur.
Standing at the top of the Montmarte, my only real knowledge of this place comes from the move Amelie. I know almost nothing about it, and to be honest, it had never struck me as one of the "must sees" of Paris.
Being at Sacre Coeur, I felt obliged to go inside, have a look, and as usual, climb to the highest possible point.
It was definitely a nice view.

The sky was clear and I could see straight across Paris.
I was definitely beginning to feel a bit of the "not another **** cathedral" phenomenon that so many tourists go through.

There was nothing "wrong" with Sacre Couer, it was just that after seeing so many other places in such a short amount of time, I was beginning to struggle with differentiating them in my mind.
Even so, standing out the front of this old basilica made me feel strangely nostalgic for the film Amelie. It was like being transported into the film itself, with Audrey Tatou surely only just around the corner...

No comments: