Monday, February 04, 2008

The Church of the Holy Sepulchre

Being in Jerusalem is pretty much about one thing and one thing only. Visiting the holy sites.

I decided that I was going to go and see what I wanted to see the most immediately. So I started out towards the most important site in all of Christendom.

The Church of the Holy Sepulchre!
This strange and mystical place has captured my imagination since I was a young child reading about the Templars, the Crusades and Saladin.

Inside, I was treated to more than I could ever have expected. It is a wonderful mix, a complete mismatch of styles, times and cultures that comes together in this one enormous temple of worship.

Wondering through the darkened halls, I could hardly contain my excitement as I walked passed the nuns, priests, pilgrims and curious tourists.

Everywhere I looked, I could see amazingly beautiful paintings and structures.
The differences are strange. They do not match one another, and yet it is this failure to create a consistent image that gives this church an atmosphere that I have never felt anywhere else.
Seeing all of the different Christian groups in the same place, all worshipping in union was another beautiful thing.
This was after all, the centre of the faith.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, you are freaking amazing! Now I want to take a trip around the world too! I can't believe how many places you've been! When do you get back?

Anonymous said...

What's up, its good piece of writing regarding media print, we all be aware of media is a wonderful source of facts.

Feel free to visit my homepage - weight loss centers