Sunday, December 30, 2012

A greener Hong Kong

It had been several years since I had been in Hong Kong.  I had never been all that enamoured with Hong Kong.  To me, the city was nothing more than a temple to capitalism.  I found the constant consumerism to be suffocating and boring.  The repetition of a life dedicated to nothing more than purchasing to be mindless.

This trip was different.
I never expected this from Hong Kong.


The local building and construction society or association (I forget) had a large piece of land in the middle of Kowloon that had previously been used to train construction workers in the use of heavy equipment.  Over time, the land had become valuable as it had become surrounded by increasingly high end residential and commercial developments.
The response to such events that I would have expected would have been that the land would have been in some way developed for as much profit as possible.
Instead, this land was turned into their new headquarters that acted as a model of environmental design and green building.  It had been turned into a beautiful beacon of sustainable living that was intended to give the community and school children an example of what could be achieved with better planning.
It was a small step, but it was a step none the less.  Hong Kong had made a decision that had been motivated not by money or profit margins, but rather based on a concept aimed at promoting a better life for future generations.  This was something that I did NOT ever see happening!

No comments: